The Albany School is embarking on a journey to promote, develop and embrace Literacy and a life-long love of learning. Language is central to all learning. Therefore, by increasing the literacy requirements of a subject, you will improve learning and raise attainment in that subject. Our aim is to:
- Improve whole school literacy
- Improve students ability to communicate and function in society
- Prepare students for the Spelling and Grammar elements of the GCSE
- Broaden their knowledge of words
- Help the students take more ownership of their work and be more independent in their learning
There are numerous initiatives underway that we hope will develop the Literacy skills of the students across all the year groups.
- Literacy Lessons - Weekly lessons for years 7-9 that incorporate private reading, revision of a literacy skill and a group discussion on the Citizenship theme of the week. Please contact for further information.
- Reading Tests – All students in KS3 complete a reading test to assess their comprehension, analysis skills, vocabulary and inference skills. This information is used to target intervention and assist teachers to fully support all learners.
- Word of the week – every week there is a new and interesting word for the students to learn and students’ are encouraged to use the word in their lessons with the aim to be crowned the Wordsmith of the Week.
- Literacy mats in all subjects (located in journals and classrooms) that remind students of the basic literacy skills and also subject specific skills such as key words, structuring essays etc.
- Reading Zone (rZone) - Located at the top of North Wing, this room is open before school, at break, lunchtime and afterschool. It is a relaxing space to encourage reading and a love of books. Students are allowed to borrow books to read at home. Please contact for further information.
- CGP Literacy Guide – offered to all parents at a discounted rate. Please contact for further information.
- ALF (Albany Learning Forum) - Every two weeks at lunchtime, there is a 10 minute lecture in the e-Zone on a wide variety of topics. This is intended to encourage a love of learning outside the classroom. So far the topics have included: teenagers, bomb disposal and Resistance in WW2, MI5 and the Human Weapon.
- Silent reading for all years takes place weekly in tutor time. All students should have a reading book with them in school every day.
- Literacy activities are delivered weekly in form time and are incorporated in all lessons across every subject.
- Debating Club is held every two weeks in room 43 to prepare the debate which is then performed to an audience during lunchtimes on the following Tuesday. Please see Mr Lakin for further details.
- Competitions are held termly and students are informed about them through their Heads of Year and tutors.
Literacy Co-ordinator & English Teacher
Oversees whole school Literacy programme
Mr W Ahmad
Literacy Lesson Co-ordinator & English Teacher
Prepares the resources for the weekly literacy lessons
Ms K Armand
Responsible for managing the rZone, whole school reading development, 1:1 Literacy intervention and co-ordinating the Word of the Week.